Friday, 22 February 2013

Cops quash cyber rumours about acid-splasher’s return

After a spate of acid-splashing incidents in 2011 and last year, recent talk in cyber space is that “The splasher is back”!

Of late, there has been a string of text messages and posts on social media websites regarding alleged acid-splashing incidents in various parts of the city and in Selangor.

The police said they would act if there were reports but, in the meantime, these posts had been brushed aside as being just a hoax.

The public has been warned that action can be taken against those who spread such news on the Net.

The information of several incidents happening around the Klang Valley allegedly came from the Bandar Tun Razak police station but city CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Ku Chin Wah has quashed the accusation.

“The warnings' are nothing more than hoaxes,” he said, advising the public to stay calm and report the matter to the police if such things had indeed occurred.

The online posts said an acid spasher had struck at, among the locations, the PKNS Complex in Shah Alam, near a shopping mall in USJ and in Damansara over the past two weeks.

The alleged splasher, riding on a motorcycle, would knock on car windows before hurling a yellow bottle said to be filled with acid, at the driver.

Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Mohd Adnan Abdullah said police had not received any reports indicating that the splasher was back.

He advised the public not to spread such information that could cause panic, adding that they should first verify any information they receive.

“Spreading false information of such nature is an offence,” he said.

An alleged serial splasher struck fear among Klang Valley residents over a three-month period from March 2011, with more than 20 people reportedly suffering burns from splashed acid.

The attacks stopped after police released a photofit of the culprit in May.

Last year, however, the incidents surfaced again, beginning some time in February when a woman suffered severe burns on her face and body after she was splashed with corrosive liquid.

The alleged serial acid attacker was never caught.


Post a Comment