Thursday, 16 August 2012

Home alone baby saved from burning flat

BUTTERWORTH: A home alone six-month-old baby boy was rescued from a burning flat by a neighbour but is in critical condition after he sustained first degree burns all over his body in Mak Mandin here.

Y. Meysshvin, who sustained 70% burns, was sleeping in the flat while his babysitter G. Saroja, 48, went to the nearby market.

A neighbour, J.P. Supermaniam, said he heard the baby crying and ran over to see what was happening and then ran back to his flat to get a fire extinguisher.

“I tried put out the fire but to no avail. I managed to run inside the flat and quickly carried the baby, who was in the cradle, out of the burning flat.

“I then rushed the injured baby to the Seberang Jaya Hospital where he was warded. His condition has been described as critical,” the 60-year-old told reporters at the scene yesterday.

When met at the hospital, Saroja said she decided to go to the market while the baby was asleep.

“I immediately went back home when my neighbour called me on my handphone to tell me that the place was on fire.”

The baby’s father A. Yogeswaran, 32, said he sped to the hospital upon being told of the incident, adding that he had just fetched his daughter, six, from her kindergarten at the time.

The baby’s mother, Ranjita Kaur, 30, who was at work at a nearby factory, also rushed to the hospital when she heard the news.

The fire was believed to have been caused by a fallen oil lamp.

Butterworth fire station chief Mohd Khalil Abd Rahim said an engine with seven personnel was sent to the scene after they received a distress call at 10.36am.

“When we reached the scene at 10.43am, the flat was already 90% gutted. We managed to control the fire within 20 minutes. Losses have yet to be ascertained.”

Bagan MIC chairman Datuk Henry Benedict Asirvatham donated RM2,000 and said he would help the baby, including sending him to a specialist at a private hospital for treatment if necessary.
Source : TheStar


Post a Comment