Friday, 10 August 2012

Security guards stop fleeing robbery suspects at 1Utama shopping centre

PETALING JAYA: Four men were nabbed by security guards in a mall here when they tried to flee after being spotted behaving suspiciously in the carpark.

The men in the car rammed into several other vehicles at the basement carpark when they sped against traffic flow to flee from guards patrolling the mall.

They were nabbed after their car got stuck on a divider in the Wednesday night drama at the 1Utama shopping centre in Bandar Utama.

A police source said the suspects were waiting to rob shoppers.

He said the car had earlier been reported stolen in Sungai Buloh. Two parang were found in the boot.

A witness said the suspects were loitering on the fourth level of the carpark earlier.

“Despite being blocked by other cars, the suspects were desperate to escape and drove till their car got stuck on the divider,” he said, adding that the four men were handed over to the police.

Petaling Jaya police chief ACP Arjunaidi Mohamed confirmed that police had received a report on the incident.

The management of 1Utama, on its Facebook page, thanked shoppers for their positive comments and encouraging words for the mall's security team.

They, however, reminded shoppers to “always be vigilant and to help each other in ensuring safety” at the shopping centre.

In SHAH ALAM, Selangor CID chief SAC Mohd Adnan Abdullah said the four suspects had been remanded and that the police would investigate their modus operandi.

“The security guards suspected something amiss when they noticed the four men waiting in a Proton Wira at the parking bay.

“When the guards approached them, they sped off. However, they failed to escape.”

Meanwhile, SAC Mohd Adnan said the police had concluded their probe into the death of TV9 administrative executive Syaleza Jaffar. He, however, declined to give details.

Syaleza was found with strangulation marks on her neck at her home in Saujana Apartment, Damansara Damai, on July 28.

A man, said to be a relative, has since been remanded and questioned while statements have been recorded from 23 others.
Source : The Star


Post a Comment