Monday, 24 December 2012

Family burnt to death in car-bus accident

A couple and their two daughters were burnt to death when the car they were in burst into flames after it collided with an express bus at Km26 Jalan Kuala Terengganu-Kuantan near the Institut Kemahiran Belia Negara (IKBN), Kemasik here.

The dead were Mohd Sabirin Sulaiman, 50, a teacher, his wife Halina Saif.

Terengganu police chief Datuk Jamshah Mustapa said that in the 1.30am incident yesterday, the family were on their way from Kuantan to Dungun when their car went out of control and into the path of the express bus coming from the opposite direction.

“The express bus on its way from Kota Baru to Malacca dragged the car for about some 30m.

“The car then caught fire which also spread to the bus which was ferrying eight passengers,” he told reporters at the scene.

He said the bus driver and passengers escaped with only minor injuries except for one passenger who broke a leg when jumping out to safety.

Jamshah said the family were returning to their home in Dungun after attending a chess competition in which the girls had taken part.

He said Mohd Sabirin taught Japanese language at Sekolah Menengah Tengku Intan Zaharah (SMTIZ), Dungun and that the family lived in Jalan Tok Mudim, Batu 5, Dungun.

“It was raining lightly at the time and it is believed the road was slippery. However, a detailed investigation is being carried out,” he said.

“I advise the public to be extra careful when driving in wet weather at this stretch of the road because it is potholed and in the last two weeks, three road fatalities have been recorded here because of this factor,” he said.

Mohd Sabirin and the girls were burnt beyond recognition while their mother suffered burns up to her waist.

One of the passengers, Wan Mohd Al-hakim Wan Yusoff, 27, said he was just about to doze off after replying to an SMS to a friend moments before the accident.

“Then suddenly I noticed the bus was veering to the left before there was a thunderous sound followed by shouts for help from outside the bus.

“Within a few seconds there were flames in front of the bus. My immediate thoughts were on the safety of my son Wan Mohd Adam Al-Haqq who had been flung from his seat because of the impact and was lying on the aisle which was filled with thick smoke,” he said.

He said the passengers then rushed to the emergency exit but it failed to open.

Luckily, one of the passengers managed to break down the main door to get to safety.

He only sustained bruises in the incident while Mohd Faiz Sulihan, 23, who broke a leg has been admitted to the Kemaman Hospital.

Source : CLICK


Post a Comment