Wednesday 18 July 2012

Trader is latest car park attack victim

PETALING JAYA: A businessman has become the latest victim of a violent robbery at a shopping mall car park here. The victim who only wanted to be known as Lim, 69, said the incident happened after he and his wife closed their shop at 1Utama and gone to his car parked at the lower-ground floor at around 10pm on Monday.

“We were just about to get into our car when a man approached me from the side and tried to grab my briefcase.

“I tried to fight back but the man started punching me in the face,” he said when met at the scene yesterday.
Lim said it all happened so fast that he could not even remember how the attacker looked like.

“If the man had attacked me from the front, I might have had a better look at him,” he said.

His wife, 63, said she could only scream when her husband was being attacked.

“One minute I was opening the passenger door, and the next minute I saw my husband being beaten up,” she said, adding that the experience had traumatised her.

1Utama security and safety operations manager Santa Singh said the security guards who responded to the attack managed to chase the man out of the car park and to a nearby building before he disappeared.

“We have about 80 guards on duty between 7am and 7pm daily, and four guards to patrol each of the car park floors at the old and new wing respectively,” he said.

Petaling Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Arjunaidi Mohamed who visited the shopping mall yesterday, said the case was being investigated under Section 393 of the Penal Code for attempted robbery.

“We have already taken a statement from the victim and have retrieved CCTV footage from the scene to help us identify the suspect,” he said.

Source : TheStar

0 comments:

Post a Comment